|Day in the Life|
|Dress the Doll|
To design your own fantascope you will need:
1. Firstly you will need a graphic template for your fantascope. Select one from the list below then download and print both halves of the graphic.
2. Once you have printed both parts of your chosen graphic you then need to stick the two halves together onto the black card. The circular slotted disc should then be carefully cut out.
3. Now it is time to put your design onto the template. Draw (in pencil) lines to split the disc into frames. These should be exactly halfway between the slits (see diagram). As the disc spins you see each frame in turn. If your image is always in the same position on the frame it will apear to be still. If the image is in different positions in each frame it will apear to move.
4. It is best to draw the images on a seperate piece of paper and stick them on into the frames. Draw a range of images, small enough to fit into a frame, each one very similar to the previous, with only a small part changing. For the best results the first and last frames should also be similar. Cut the images out (not forgetting the order!) and stick them onto the template.
5. Your fantascope is now almost ready to use. Carefully push the pin through the centre of the picture side of the disc and into the cork.
6. To use your fantascope hold the cork and look through a slot at a mirror. You should be able to see the top half of the mirrored image. Holding the cork still spin the disc and you should see the moving picture in the mirror! Experiment with the speed and position of the fantascope to get the best picture.
Things to try